PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, January 14, 2011

Where The Wild Things Are Cake

I remember loving this book when I was a little girl. Its a great book! A little bit scary, but not too much so...with a lesson to be learned, but still a fun book. It's a classic. Who would have known that 20 something years later I would be using my memories of it to recreate a cake for a sweet little boy's first birthday?! Even as a child I'm not sure I could have imagined a cooler "job"!!

So here it is,
Weston's 1st birthday cake
In the book Max has a private boat that takes him to where the wild things are.


Let the Wild Rumpus start!


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This should be a fun smash cake for him to tear into!!!
The smash cake
A close up of the topper.
Is the cuteness killing you????



And of course, I've fallen in love with this theme for a party! I always do this...wish I had a boy whenever I come across a cute boy party theme. (not too sure my husband will think its a valid reason to try for a 3rd child) ;) So instead of having another baby in hopes that its a boy so that I can throw aWhere The Wild Things Are party, I decided to just plan a pretend party. :)



That oh so cute/totally cool wreath came from THIS party. Love it
And for this type of party you've got to create lots of vines. Easy enough to do with paper. I found this kind of paper vine here. There are all sorts of tutorials out there for paper vines.

And check out those paper bag monsters. What a great party craft! I found that idea here.
And right under the paper bags are the crowns...gotta have crowns. Find more party pics from that party here.
Right under that picture is the cutest party outfit ever!! Gotta dress your little one up in a max-like costume so he can be king of all wild things! Source

Counterclock wise is one of my favorite quotes from the book. I think it would be so cool to make posters of some of the classic quotes from the book, scatter them around as decorations for the party. This one would be great on the door guests will be exiting out of.
And last but not least, a dessert table, junble/woods theme would be totally appropriate. Source

7 comments:

  1. wow kate, your artistry is amazing. it's like the illustrations popped out of the book and landed on the cake in perfectly crafted fondant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks SO much! It's was a perfect first birthday cake. Check out my photo's on Facebook, and I'll have more from the party. It was a HUGE success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...that is one challenging piece of cake art! It looks amazing, and so much like the book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous!!!! Amazing details and soooo cute! I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your cake was amazing... I'm a huge fan of the children's classic. In memory of Maurice Sendak, I've posted your article on my Twitter page. I hope you don't mind.
    twitter.com/vsweetblog

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake is gorgeous ... I couldn't resist but share it on my Facebook page today with a link back to your site. A fitting tribute to a wonderful picture book. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete